Sunday, March 2, 2014

Now I am on my way of becoming A General Surgeon . On one fine morning in August 1959 I stepped out of Madras - Howrah Mail on to the platform of Waltair ( Visakhapatnam ) Railway Station , a station under the administrative jurisdiction of South East Railway Section of Bhaarath ( Indian ) Railways . I got into a cycle rikshaw and proceeded towards the down town of Visakhapatnam . I took up a temp...orary lodging and went in search of a rental property and was lucky to find a small two room portion in a corner house in third line Official Colony , Maharanipet ,Visakhapatnam 2 . The house belongs to A Vaishnavaite Brahmin Family managed by a middle aged childless couple - Srimathi Krishnavenamma gaaru and Sri Vaikhunttam gaaru . Rent Rupees 70 per month . I paid first month's rent in advance and settled down what little luggage I had just enough to get by . The house is right across the back side of King George Hospital with a small wicket gate serving as entrance . I can just walk across to my place of work , learning , my alma mater for the next four years . With the help of kind house owners I was able to engage the services of an elderly maid Varaalamma to fetch drinking water from a nearby municipal water tap as my rental house had only a well so deep and that too only of salt water and a house maid Kamalamma , both maids I paid Rupees 25 per month ( total Rs 50 pm ) , now that my pay as Tutor in Surgery is Rupees 250 per month - rent Rs 70 plus Maid service Rs 50 = Total Rs 120 plus Rs 100 for sustenance and other utilities - so just about able to eke out . With domestic arrangements settled I reported to duty as Tutor in Surgery , Assistant to Surgeon , MS General Surgery P G student to third General Surgical Unit of Professor Lingam Sooryanaarayana gaaru and my PG Education cum Practical Training as A General Surgeon is on Rails with effect from the last week in August 1959 and scheduled for completion by June 1961 if I can ( needs to be seen what happens and what future has in store for me ) . So friends wish me well and be with me as I take you through my PG MS General Surgery at AMC / KGH ./ Andhra University - Visakhapatnam - bear with me if you have time and patience ----

No comments: