Sunday, April 20, 2014

United Kingdome Here I Come : It is early November 1967 . I have completed four years stay at Rangaraya Medical College Kakinada Andhra Bhaarath as Assistant Professor General Surgery / General Surgeon / Anesthesiologist . My desire to go to United Kingdom and to become a Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons FRCS has become stronger that made me take three steps as a starting point - 1. Applied for Study cum Employment Visa to British High Commission in New Delhi ; 2. Requested Director of Medical Education in Hyderabad for a grant of 3 years study leave ; 3. Applied for Passport . Let me take the third step first and narrate the problems I faced - way back in 1960s it is so difficult to get A Passport for an ordinary law-abiding citizen which I was - I am not rich , I had no political influence , I was an ordinary citizen ,- so I was asked to prove a.that I am A Citizen of India , b. to produce A No Objection Certificate from My Government , c. to prove that I have enough financial resources to travel to and back from foreign lands without causing any financial problems to Mother India , d. to produce police clearance certificates from Police Departments of all places I lived and worked , and e. guarantors who will be responsible for my conduct , for my stay abroad and for my return back without causing any problems to Mother India - You will be surprised that I managed to accomplish all by stooping , begging , borrowing , and do whatever it takes and lo and behold I got a 5 year valid Passport by end of November 1967 . Without any hassle I obtained An Employment cum Study Visa from The British Government valid for 10 years with a stipulation that I must be in London by the end of December 1967 . Again I had to sell myself , beg , stoop to receive permission from my government study leave for a period of 3 years with loss of pay but without a break in continuity of my service record which I am happy to say was all accomplished by First of December 1967 on which date I was relieved of my duties at Rangaraya Medical College Kakinada Andhra Bhaarath , given a farewell party , best wishes and blessings from all my colleagues . With the help of a local travel agent I purchased an Economy Passage flying Air India International from Madras to Heathrow London - I am packed , ready and my journey is scheduled to begin on 6th December 1967 , which I will be my pleasure to take you all along with me on that momentous journey , but you have to wait for my write up in the next episode soon enough - au revoir , bon homie , bon jour mon amigos -- AnasooyaAthreyaSeshaAnjaneyakrishna

No comments: