Friday, June 13, 2014

Surgeon in England March 1969 - August 1969

Now I am in Rochester , Kent at the beginning March 1969 . I was selected as A Senior House Officer in The Department of General Surgery for a period of six months from March 1969 to August 1969 . I am due to work in St.Bartholomews Hospital located on New Road , Rochester , Kent ME1 1DS ,UK . St Bart's Hospital is under the jurisdiction of Medway Community Health Care . Rochester is a beautiful and a historic town in Garden of England that is Kent . Rochester town is on the banks of River Medway , in South East of England about 30 miles ( 48 km ) from London . Rochester Town was the favorite of Charles Dickens who lived nearby at Gads Hill Place , Higham . My consultant was Mister AMB Tompkin FRCS , a very amiable English Gentleman who was my guide and a very good friend during those six months from March to August 1969 . Mr Tompkin was very punctual and a very courteous English man . Even now I can visualize MR Tompkin walking in either Operating Rooms , Surgical Clinic and / or Surgical Ward Rounds at 8 AM GMT Monday through Friday with a big genuine smile on his face wishing all ' Good Morning , Good Morning ' . It was my pleasure and a privilege to have worked under him , with him , and assisting him . I did all kinds of Gastrointestinal and Genitourinary Surgeries during that six month sojourn and I also made some extra money moonlighting at nearby Brook Hospital in Woolwich and also at Lewisham Hospital within the Borough of Lewisham and Greenwich . Those six months were hectic , very rewarding professionally as well financially . I gained as much surgical experience as I could muster and started saving money for my eventual return to Bhaarath ( India ) . In spite all my good work there was no job security and no permanency and by the end of August 1969 I had to move and I did move with Blessings from Mister AMB Tompkin FRCS and journeyed up north of England to Midlands to the banks of River Trent to Nottingham City and you will find me there at the beginning of September 1969 and if you are there you will se me , but you have to wait for me - see you !

No comments: