Saturday, February 15, 2014

Dr.Balakrishna M. Ramaraju : My Life : July 1954 , my first full day away from home , muggy humid day . Men's hostel on a small hillock . Room mate Nageswararao from Guntur my home town , a smoker and a hypochondriac wakes up with a thermometer in his mouth maintains a temperature chart twice a day a record to tell him whether he is having any remittent , intermittent rise in body temperature or a nocturnal pyrexia and he is the one who introduced me to smoking , more about it at a later date . Today is big day for me D Day , day of orientation . Had a quick breakfast of Idli in the Vegetarian mess and got into college bus to meet the Principal and Heads Of Clinical Departments , The Clinical & ParaClinical Faculty of Andhra Medical College / King George Hospital , Visakhapatnam , henceforth AMC/KGH , Vizag . The Principal's Office is on a small hillock overlooking Bay Of Bengal . Vizag is a city of ups and downs , small hillocks and smaller valleys , lanes and culverts . I loved Vizag - love at first sight , a love lost but more of it later . Let me come to the present , and all third year medicos ( first year clinical students ) from GMC Guntur were presented at the Principal's Office and sticking to protocol we were introduced to The Stalwarts in the following Order - 1. Principal DR G V S Moorthy Prof & HOD Medicine , 2. DR M V Ramanamoorthy Prof & HOD Surgery , 3. DR H M Lazarus Prof & HOD OB-GY , 4. DR D Govindareddy Prof & HOD Pathology , 5. DR D Bhaskarareddy Prof&HOD Forensic Medicine ( Medical Jurisprudence ) , 6 . DR Dakshinamoorthy Prof & HOD Social&Preventive Medicine ( Hygiene ) , 7. DR Sooryaprasadarao Prof&HOD Ophthalmology , 8. DR Alahasingari Prof&HOD Oto Rhino Laryngology ( ENT ), 9.DR Govindarao Prof&HOD Pharmacology , Surgery Faculty DRs Mahankali Krishna Moorthy , B Shanmukheswararao ( Hostel Warden ) , Lingam Sooryanarayana ; Medicine Faculty DRs K Sooryanarayana , NT Subrahmanyam , K Krishnamoorthy ; OB GY Faculty DRs N Subhadradevi , C Savithri , K Prasunamba , A Savithri and others DRs P Narasimharao , Ramalingam , Veerabhadrarao , Lakshmipathy - now today I am what I am and what I have been is all due to the Blessings , Guidance , Teachings of all those stalwarts , most of them no more - I Bend My Head , Touch Their Feet and Pray for Those Departed Souls and For The Health of Those still Gracing Mother Earth . That is how my first day started at AMC/KGH , Vizag and will continue so for the next three years until June 1957 . More of it as time passes on and we all know time and tide wait for none , but in those first few days I felt it was waiting and very slowly moving giving me time to adjust to a new life , an independent life , an adventure in my own life - so be it and if all ye if willing You can sit at side lines and see it as I go through it . ramaraju balakrishna murthy ( moorthy

No comments: