Saturday, February 22, 2014

Dr.Balakrishna M. Ramaraju : Thus began my independence . Unbridled freedom . Hostel life from July 1954 to June 1957 . Benefit and at the same time misuse of liberty . Away from a stern father and free from the confines of an ultra orthodox Braahmin household in Guntur faraway in beach town Visakhapatnam all by myself in Men's Hostel I became slightly wayward . It all started as a fun , I became A SMOKER of Cigarettes . My room mate in the hostel is a hypochondriac and a heavy smoker and addicted to drugs . Lucky for me he did not introduce me to Drugs , but he did introduce me to Smoking . It started on January First 1955 with One Cigarette to ring in the New Year . We had a feast in The Vegetarian Mess and my room mate offered me ONE CIGARETTE , I smoked , spluttered , coughed , and Liked IT . Touch wood No Alcohol indulgence , only smoking . Thus in January 1955 I started smoking one cigarette a day , then two a day , then after Breakfast , Lunch , and Dinner . Thus the habit of Cigarette smoking continued for more than 15 years (1955-1970) reaching A Zenith of Twenty Cigarettes A Day - THEN AFTER A SLAVERY , WHICH STARTED ON JANUARY FIRST 1955 AND LASTED FOR 15 YEARS 10 MONTHS 27 DAYS I GAVE UP SMOKING AS SUDDENLY AS I STARTED AND THAT LAST DAY OF MY LAST CIGARETTE WAS ON 28TH NOVEMBER 1970 IN BODH GAYA , BIHAR - sitting under a Peepal Tree , taking A Vow not to smoke again ( Krishna the smoker from January 01 , 1955 to November 28 ,1970 ) I will come to that at a later date at that time and how it happened . For the present be with me . But I am Happy to say that I did well in All My Clinical Subjects and passed every one of those subjects with good marks nothing to shout about from the house tops but I did well without any failure and completed my M B B S Degree in June 1957 , Andhra Medical College , Andhra University , Visakhapatnam . I could not celebrate because Tragedy struck as I lost my Father during my Final M B B S Examinations . I managed to complete my studies , came back to my Home in Guntur , Home where no more Is my Father . Several things happened during those tumultuous years 1954 - 1957 - I became A Cigarette Smoker , My Room Mate who introduced me to Cigarettes committed suicide . One class mate became mad under the stress of Medical College Graduation . Two class mates dropped out - one became A Medical Drug Company Representative , One just went away . But I did come out in spite of domestic tragedy and now there is no one to take me to task about my smoking . But to my surprise one gentleman came to visit me , he introduced himself as Doctor , a class mate of my late father , interviewed me at length about my studies , my habits , looked at me from various angles , I did not tell him about my smoking , so after a day long inquiry about me , the stranger understood all about me , my studies , my family , and my personality - Can You Guess , I know , That Gentleman came to select me as his prospective son in law , and I believe that my father just before his death has already approved the alliance and rest of my family have already seen the to be bride and my consent is taken for granted and only a formality . Strange you may think I never thought of going against my Father's Wish - so let it be An Arrangement Made By Two Gentlemen and I Bowed To Destiny - Then what happened - please wait . AnasooyaAthreyaSeshaAnjaneyakrishna

No comments: