Friday, May 2, 2014

It was way back in 1954 I left my home town Guntur when I was 20 years young . Now in December 1967 , my D-Day Departure day , I am leaving India when I am 33 years young adult . I have wings thanks to my travel agent 'Trade Wings' and flying courtesy 'MahaRaaja' Air India International Flight 'Kanishka'. Back in 1967 it was not a nonstop flight but a flight of 'take-off -hop-stop-transit-fly- and landing-touch down' and at every stop I had to leave the aircraft and wait in transit lounge before takeoff again . It was Saturday December 9, 1967 ten pm Kanishka took off from Meenambaakkam Airport Madras - a short hop and stop at Santa Cruz Airport Bombay - transit lounge had a free cup of warm coffee courtesy Air India , in those days Air India was very nice and Maharaaja was courteous but not anymore . Next stop Cairo Egypt where an Arab served me not so good coffee and charged me one shilling and I am three pound sterling minus one shilling . Next time I will be careful and shall not accept anymore coffees . On board food was good and service was very satisfactory . Now we landed in Zurich Switzerland and for the first time on the way to transit lounge I experienced bone-chilling cold and my attire was not suitable for such a weather , I have to live and learn to survive . A short hop and Kanishka landed in Orly Paris and at that time I had no idea that I will be back in Paris at a later date , so be it . Finally dawned A-Day Arrival Day Sunday , December 10, 1967 I was in Heathrow London International Airport , no problem with Immigration - I have employment Visa , no worries about customs as I have only A Mango Spicy Pickle and wondering about what was going to happen and then I heard a message - Do You Hear That My Friends - Here It is - " A Visitor by name Dr K Nooka Raaju a close friend of Satthi Reddy Karri of Preston is waiting for Passenger R B Krishna Murthy at Victoria Terminus " - my heart raced with joy all fears apprehensions trepidations worries forgotten and I am on cloud nine . I took my meager luggage got into Airport Bus paid 7 shillings , now I am left with two pounds 12 shillings and traveled through streets of London , my first view of London on A Sunday with very little traffic on the roads and in due course I am at Victoria Terminus in the heart of London and you have to abide while I step forward with bated breath to meet my savior Dr K Nooka Raaju courtesy Karri Satthi Reddy - let me take one step at a time and see what happiness awaits me - !!!! AnasooyaAthreyaSeshaAnjaneyakrishna

No comments: